What We Do

Adult/Elderly Guardianship

Adult/Elderly Guardianship

Watching your loved one grow old can be hard, especially if their mind begins to deteriorate. The onset of dementia or Alzheimer’s can leave an elderly loved one all but helpless. Without proper care and assistance, they will make errors and sustain accidents and injuries that may significantly reduce their quality of life. When a loved one is unable to make their own personal and financial decisions, you may have to assume a special type of guardianship. This will empower you to help them get through their day-to-day lives and to ensure that their finances are kept in order.

You should speak to a lawyer who specializes in adult/ elderly guardianship. The lawyer can file the guardianship petition on your behalf. They can explain the duties that you will assume and assist you in developing the annual accounting that the court will require. Your lawyer can also represent your interests in court if you are challenged by another, or file a petition to expand your powers as guardians should this be necessary. If your loved one is no longer capable of taking care of themselves and their estate, they can become easy prey for unscrupulous people who know of their condition. You may be the only one who can protect their assets and ensure that they live out their remaining years in comfort and dignity.

An attorney from Maggs Law can also help you decide whether you can help your loved one through an arrangement that is short of guardianship. You may need nothing more than a power of attorney or certain advanced medical directives to help your loved one. If you are made a guardian, then you will typically need to perform the following tasks:

  • Manage assets and debts and making financial decisions
  • Make vital medical decisions
  • Manage their daily routine and living arrangements

You need not be a family member to be a guardian. If you are a close friend of the person who has become incapacitated, you can file a petition to be their guardian. The important thing is to hire a lawyer to do the paperwork and to make your case before the court.